Friday, January 6, 2017

A new project for the new year! The Temperature quilt

I was scrolling through Instagram this morning as I always do on Friday mornings with my coffee and I came across a post that totally drew me in and had me running off on bunny trails all over the internet. Does that ever happen to you? It happens to me all to often!
Anyway, the post was actually for a crotchet project and it she called in a temperature blanket. I had never heard of such a thing, but come to find out there's all kinds of stuff out there about it. Basically you pick a rainbow selection of yarns and assign a range of temperatures to them and crochet a row based on the average temperature for that day, every day for the year.
The one I saw was for little rosettes where she is doing the outside color for the high temp of the day and the inside color for the low temp of the day.
 What a neat idea! So I thought why not a temperature QUILT? and sure enough there are some of those out there too. Most them were just squares, and while that was a neat idea I thought I would like to do something more interesting I could do. Google "temperature quilt" and you'll see what I mean.
I have come up with an idea, and who knows how it will actually look but I am going to document my progress and you can let me know what you think.
I pulled out a languishing fat quarter pack and laid them out in a semi-rainbow arrangement.
Some of these might change along the way but it's enough to get me started at least.
I have 16 fabrics so I decided, based on the temperatures here in New York to go with the following categories:
The fun part is you don't know how its going to turn out until the end of the year.

So my idea for a pattern is a Plus quilt, with interlocking pluses. I'm going to make the outside of the pluses in the High temp color and the center in the low temp color. I'm not sure how it's going to work out! The squares for the plus pieces will be 2 1/2 inches. If I did my math right, the quilt for the year will end up being about 76x84 roughly (very roughly!).
I found  a web side that records the temps for each day:
I'm going to start cutting up fabrics to get the first few days of the year done and we will see how it looks! I think its going to be really cool!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun!! There are an endless supply of ideas to "pull us in"...but don't you love it! It will be a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete